Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now: Tattoos Over 40

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Tattoos Over 40
Nov 3rd 2011, 10:20

Back in 1999, when I was 53, I got some serious medical news on the same day - a mammogram came back with some concerning images - and they needed me to retest. My dermatologist found something she thought might be melanoma, and she took a sample to test. Both of these things happened within a two hour time period on the same day. I had to wait two weeks for the skin biopsy to come back and it was the longest two weeks of my life. I spent a lot of that time thinking about what was important to me and what wasn't - and what I still wanted to accomplish.

When I got the "all clear" on BOTH medical issues, about two weeks later, I felt like I had faced death down and triumphed. I founded the "Not Dead Yet Club." A few of my friends who had faced similar life and death moments, and provided me with the emotional support I needed during that time joined as well. I decided that there would be only ONE yearly membership fee. We all had to decide (a year ahead of time) on one thing that we had always WANTED to do - but had either never worked up enough nerve or got around to doing - and write it out and put it in a box...and then do it.

First on my list was a tattoo. I had planned to get one for at least 20 years, but always talked myself out of it. Since I'm an artist, I designed my own and took it down to the local tattoo parlor. And at 53, got my first - and so far, ONLY - tattoo. Since then, I have done big and small things; some I kept up, and some I only did once, but that first thing - the tattoo - was the beginning of the Celebration of Life for me.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment