Thursday, July 18, 2013

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now: Interview with Ink Master's Sarah Miller

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Interview with Ink Master's Sarah Miller
Jul 18th 2013, 11:17, by tattoo.guide@about.com

Sarah Miller is a tattoo artist and co-owner of Wyld Chyld in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. She got her start after a roommate gave her the push to hone her hidden skill. Here's how Sarah went from the college dorm to the stage of SPIKE TV's Ink Master with her machine and unbridled talent.

How has being on Ink Master affected your career:

Being on a show, a lot of people are seeing my work now and they want tattoos from me and it's crazy. The biggest benefit of Ink Master was the criticisms the judges gave me. I kind of needed it.

Would you do the Ink Master show again?

In a heartbeat.

How long have you been tattooing?

This past March was my seven year anniversary. I was going to college for graphic design, and my sophomore year I got a roommate and she was a full time tattoo artist. She saw my drawings and kept telling me "You should tattoo. You should tattoo." I kept turning her down, until one day I came home from school with a machine set up and she said "Just try it." Once it clicked, I thought this is awesome. I was such an idiot.

Do you think the increase in tattoo related television shows have helped educate people in quality tattoos?

I really hope that more people are taking it like that instead of look at how much money they are making and "I can make a quick buck like that." There is a huge amount of people who are getting a cheap Chinese made kit off of eBay and they are going to town with no supervision or formal training in tattooing. With no idea of what they are doing, they are creating a huge mess for us. People are seeing these shows and seeing quality but they are going out sometimes and settling just to get a tattoo.

What's your favorite style to tattoo?

Photo-realism because I love doing portraits. I'm really into art and paintings in addition to tattoos. Over the next few years I really want to discover my niche, my style. I am still growing and I don't want to stop.

Is there any type of tattoo you want to do but haven't found the right canvas for?

Any of my personal pieces. I don't just give them out to anybody. I only do each of my illustrations on one person and that's it, and I want to mesh with the person and make sure everything is cool.

How old were you when you started drawing and realized you were good?

I started drawing when I was two years old. That's my earliest memory. I remember drawing The Little Mermaid. I really didn't consider myself good until the past couple of years. I am probably harsher on myself than anybody. I am my own worst critic. I will finish a piece and think, 'Oh man that sucks.'

Since Ink Master you have been traveling allover the country and going to the top tattooing events. What is the best way for people to get tattooed by you and meet you?

As of right now I have a lot of people on my waiting list and I am not really booking anyone currently in my shop. I do have a few openings at conventions or guest spots, and the best way to get a tattoo at a convention or at a guest spot is to call my shop at (412) 668-2263 and get on the waiting list.

Since Ink Master do you find people approach you for tattoos just because you were on the show?

Yeah a lot of that. My rates have gone up and not everyone can afford my rates when they want to get something really, really small. I want to tattoos to be more than a lick and stick, I want to do an amazing piece. Each artist has their own style and I want tattoos to be an artistic expression. It should mean something to the person getting it.

Is there any type of style you are trying hard to master?

I just want to keep pushing color-realism from portraits to an illustration. Drew Struzan is phenomenal and captures an iconic image without saying anything. I did a fairy tale Sleeping Beauty piece, and its an iconic story and I took it out of context and I put my own spin to it and its one of my favorite pieces that I have ever done.

Any other television shows in the works?

Not really. There is a lot I am thinking about, I would be interested in a TV show, and there have been a few things that could be fun in the future.

Before Ink Master you did not travel as much, has the new travel helped your tattooing being exposed to other artists?

Being around the most amazing artists in the country, yes it is humbling to see them work so effortlessly. It is inspirational. I was just in Germany a few weeks ago and it was phenomenal. I really just want to tattoo more.

What is your favorite tattoo touring event and why?

I think right now between the Ink Life Tour , it is very homey and family and it's nice to just see everybody. I also like the even bigger shows with the huge, big name artists because they are amazing.

Do you think the Ink Master judging was fair and would you have done it differently?

It is subjective. The hardest thing was figuring out what the judges were looking for and how to deliver your art to match what they were trying to get.

Something that one person likes another person will not like. The hardest thing was figuring out what the judges were looking for, and trying to deliver art to match what they wanted. I don't think at the time there was anything I could differently. Now I could do better.

Watch out world, she can! Thank you Sarah Miller and best wishes for your continued success.

Wyld Chyld Tattoo

742 Brookline Boulevard

Pittsburg, PA

(412) 668-2262

Wyld Chyld on FACEBOOK

Follow Sarah Miller on FACEBOOK here.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment