Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now: "Straight Edge" Lifestyle Tattoo Experience

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com 
"Straight Edge" Lifestyle Tattoo Experience
Aug 11th 2013, 11:12, by tattoo.guide@about.com

Throughout my high school years people would now and again bring up the topic of tattoos, and when asked what I would get, the answer was always simple for me. Nothing.

Back in those days I was sure that, since I had a low pain threshold and having anything messing with my skin made me woozy, that I would never even think about getting a tattoo.

High school passed, and during my first year at college I began to ponder the idea of getting a tattoo. The first reason I started thinking about this was the choice I had made for my life back in high school. I live a straight edge lifestyle (for those ignorant of this term, it's basically a choice to live life without the self destructive forces that many in society live by - drugs, alcohol, smoking.. any sorts of poisons).

The letter X often represents this lifestyle. This is because when this movement (for lack of a better word) started in the mid-80's, clubs would put an X on the hand of those who were too young to drink. Eventually the straight edge scene started bringing themselves to clubs with the X already on their hands, 21 or not.

Today, many still ink a single X onto their hand (with a marker) at shows and clubs to show their devotion to the lifestyle. For those of us who feel more strongly, a tattoo is often an obvious way to make the distinction that this IS a life choice, and cannot be taken back. Eventually I decided I would go for it. I was still a little worried about the pain, but a lifetime of dog bites and broken arms had prepared me for the worst.

Finally in April I went and had it done. The tattoo is 3 X's on my upper arm, the common tattoo starting point for many. Why 3 x's? - because straight edge had originally grown from the hardcore scene.. which also uses an X as a common symbol.(ex. p X a = pa hardcore , x X x = straight edge)

The x's are done in an lode english style font and have a thin outline. I love them, and was very happy with the work. However, I knew after getting these that the shop I had gone to left a little to be desired from me. It was small, dark, crowded, and was run by older bikers.. who I just don't feel have a modern tattoo connection. Nonetheless, the tattoo was great, and the addiction had started.

When I decided to get my next tattoo a few months ago, my friend recommended a nearby shop to me, and so we went over there. The guy who runs it is younger, in his 20's I guess, knows his stuff, is friendly, and much more in touch with modern kids. The shop was large, well lit, and very clean all over. I was initially struck by all this and got my second tattoo 15 minutes after walking in. It is a larger piece than my first - the liberty bell on my back below my neck (to show my love for my home town). The work was excellent, and I knew I had found my shop.

Earlier today I went back and spoke with the artist again. I'm going to be getting a nautical star on the inside of my elbow. The price for this one is a little high, but he told me its really hard to do and it will hurt a lot more than my back did. I figured both points before I had walked in, as the flesh is very thin and sensitive at this spot. I told him I'd stop back next weekend when I had the money.

As you can see, the first one is the hardest to bring yourself to get. After you get it, you'll surely be hooked on the wonderful art of tattooing. There's a great feeling of deciding where to put what, even if you can't do it yourself, you are the one who decides what it will look like and what the final result will be. It's a great way to show creativity, character, and just make life a little more exciting.

THE PAIN ISSUE:

Does it hurt? Yes.

How bad? That depends on where you're getting it. A general rule of thumb: Less flesh, more pain. Arms aren't bad. Chests are supposed to be a bit worse. The back wasn't as bad as my arm (I think because I knew what to expect), but it felt a little weird when he did shading over the edges of my shoulder blades. Honestly, the worst pain was that of my foot and leg falling asleep from sitting still for 2 hours.

Also, obviously, sensitive areas like anything that bends (like the inside of your elbow) are going to hurt a bit more. Just keep in mind,.. it's a very temporary pain and a lifetime of pleasure. In fact, once the tattoo is finished, the WORST pain you will feel is a sunburn-like feeling for a day or two.

Another thing about the pain is the adrenaline effect. Like any wound that your body receives adrenaline immediately starts to flow and numb the area, so after you make it through the first minute or two, your body adapts and the pain subsides immensely.

SO anyway, if you're thinking of getting a tattoo, my advice is to think long and hard about what to get, and choose the right shop to do the job, but by all means,.. don't be afraid!

-Eric

Want to add your own body art testimonial? Fill Out This Simple Form

Go Back To Testimonial Menu Page

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment