Thursday, November 12, 2015

Getting Boyfriend's Name Tattooed

rose.jpg -
Courtesy Rekha Garton, Getty Images. 

Hello,

I am seriously considering getting my boyfriend's name tattooed on my hip. It might sound like a strange place to get a name tattoo, but I have my reasons. We have a little inside joke about my hips, and that's where I love for him to grab me. I know this place is not the most visible area so I feel safe about that. I also have some extra padding so I don't think it will hurt too much. My greatest concern is whether or not I should actually be getting my boyfriend's name tattooed. We have been together for about three long years. I am sure we will get married one day but for now there is no rush. I love tattoos and this will make tattoo number six. I have never dedicated anything to anyone else besides myself. I just have a rose tattoo, a cross,  a shamrock, a cupcake, and an owl tattoo. Should I get my boyfriend's name tattooed?  What is your experience?

Signed,

Hips Don't Lie

Dear Hips Don't Lie,

Thankfully I do not have any boyfriend name tattoos. That does not mean I have any relationship regrets, however, I am not sure I would want my ex-boyfriend's name anywhere on my body long after he was gone. 

Name tattoos are considered one of the most common tattoo regrets.

I'm careful in advising what you should do. On one hand, you should tattoo whatever makes you happy. On the other, your tattoo will be permanent and your relationship might not be. Things happen. People change. We all move on.

I really do like the idea of a hip tattoo. I believe this is a nice, sexy spot to dedicate to your lover. I wonder if there is a design idea that might better represent your relationship and commitment rather than a name?

Another bit of advice pertains to selecting a tattoo artist and analyzing their skill. People often assume anyone with a tattoo machine is capable of doing a name tattoo. Not every artist has good "handwriting". Script tattoos are a talent in themselves.

If I was seriously considering getting my boyfriend's name tattooed, I would seek out an artist who specializes in lettering. I would also check out all the various styles of script- from elegant to old world, and decide what sort of handwritten style best suits my personality. Always make sure your tattoo is spelled correctly, and ensure it is large enough for all the details needed to make it a legible, substantial design.

I'm hopeful that if you plan on getting your boyfriend's tattooed you'll follow these tips. Perhaps with these small bits of advice, you'll have a design you can wear proudly for a lifetime, no matter the outcome. I might suggest you wait until he gets your name tattooed. (Call me old-fashioned.)

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment