Thursday, November 12, 2015

Peeling and Flaking Tattoo

 - Image CC Courtesy tibChris@Flickr
Take a seat and watch the ink.  Image CC Courtesy tibChris@Flickr

 I just got my very first tattoo. It is an awesome dragon design. I am so excited to have this new thigh design, but over the past few days I have noticed the tattoo is beginning to peel and flake. I'm not sure if this is normal? My tattoo artist never mentioned anything about tattoo aftercare, or what I should do about a peeling and flaking tattoo. What's even worse, is that now I see some bright red ink coming off on the peeling skin. Does this mean my tattoo is rubbing off and already fading? I have no idea how to take care of my new tattoo. I spent a lot of money (not to mention a tip) and besides the fact that my tattoo artist did a phenomenal job, I still think she should have discussed tattoo aftercare instructions. Should I call the shop, ask for a refund, or just deal with this peeling and flaking tattoo design on my own? I'm breathing a little fire of my own over here.

Signed, Fiery Mad at My Tattoo Artist

Dear Fiery Mad at My Tattoo Artist,

I am so sorry your artist did not explain proper tattoo aftercare with you. Yes, she should have taken the time to go over what to expect, especially since this was your first tattoo. Despite being a talented artist, she should have never overlooked this basic step in her practice.

With that said, you have nothing to worry about. What you are experiencing is a natural part of the healing tattoo process. As the skin heals, it sheds its outermost layer. Often times this includes bits of ink, which will make the underlying tattoo appear much lighter until it is fully healed. This is exactly why you feel as though it is fading. Rest assured your tattoo will be back to normal soon.

In the meantime, do not submerse your design in water. Do not pick, peel, or scratch your new tattoo. Lastly, keep it moisturized with lotion to help speed up the tattoo healing process and prevent itchiness. You can always go back to the tattoo shop and ask your artist if your tattoo is healing properly.

She'll see if everything looks good, and hopefully offer a touch-up should the job be shoddy after it is fully healed. From now on you can expect this to be part of the process, and won't be so alarmed with a peeling or flaking tattoo. Enjoy your body art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment