Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now: Kate Hellenbrand

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Kate Hellenbrand
Jun 6th 2012, 11:01

My date with legendary tattoo artist Kate Hellenbrand went sort of like this.

"I need to interview one of the first female tattooists in America; a pioneer of the sort."

So I went to the Internet and Googled Shanghai Kate Hellenbrand and happened upon her website. I spied Kate lived in Austin, Texas right in my terrain so I picked up the phone ready to leave a message at the beep.

Just then a sweet little voice answered that reminded me of my Grandma's. "Um, is this Shanghai Kate?" I ask.

And so that was how I was invited to her place for a date, or for an interview with one of the first female tattooists in America; a pioneer of the sort.

I repeat that as it bears repeating. This is the type of person Kate Hellenbrand is; she actually invited me to her home.

And so off I go to Kate's.

Sometimes when the wind blows and someone walks towards you, you can feel a bit of their soul blow right through it.

I shut my car door and grabbed my camera, notebook, totes and bags and stood in disbelief at the beautiful witchy woman that walked towards me. If there was ever a moment I was starstruck, this was it.

Kate Hellenbrand was wearing black lounge pants, her very own Shanghai Kate shop t-shirt, a messy disheveled white bun, her killer tattoo sleeves, no makeup (I later find out she's got tattooed eyeliner) and the most fabulous, dare I say, red manicure that I had ever seen in my life. She reveals it's a gel polish, the sort that goes under the UV lamp and it looks great.

All is well and I head up the steps, not sure what to expect.

OK, I'll be honest. I expected cats and plants and lots of books but I was only half right. There were not cats but there were books, plenty of books. Her entire wall is filled with books and tattoo garb.

From her own Mother memorial art postcard to some of the original Sailor Jerry art, her pad is a tattoo enthusiasts dream. And also a romantics, as Kate also has works of Shakespeare and a world of metaphysical books including one about the energy of water and how positive or negative energy can be seen in the form of movement under the microscope.

Shanghai Kate is interested in everything and she's pretty open. Once I got inside somehow I ended up on her massage bed within a few minutes and she gave me the tour of all its physical benefits. That bed was amazing and I sort of wish I could of done the interview there but there was more to see, such as Kate's rhinestone butterfly hair clip that I spied next to her bedside table on the way out. Surprised I am, Kate is a girly girl.

Once Kate and I sat down it was business as usual. We discussed outfits and style, my tattoos, her tattoos and of course men.

I asked her for one bit of advice about the opposite sex that she could share with the world. Her answer? "Men are dumb and women are crazy, it's just a battle of the sexes."

Kate has a history in tattooing like no other female artist. She's had the longest standing career and has traveled the world over perfecting her craft and exploring all the worldly bits that make her inner artist inspired. She's had the pleasure of working side by side with some of the most talented names in the industry, including Zeke Owen, Ed Hardy, Jack Rudy and Michael Malone.

As a tattoo artist, Kate defines integrity. Don't expect to book an appointment with this world-renowned artist and approach her with any sort of humorous tattoo design. Kate has and will refuse any tattoo that she feels is unworthy for a permanent marking. Kate despises meaningless tattoos and really wishes people would stop getting tattoos until they know who they are and what they really want.

I glance over at Kate's arms as we discuss more about tattooing. Her body art tells a story of loss, friendship and inspiration. From her very first cherry blossom tattoo to the flaming Phoenix and the frog that serves in memorial of a close friend and her children, Kate can't quite understand how people can be fully tattooed with any sort of significance when her body art, still incomplete, has taken years to become meaningful.

As for her off-limit body parts, the face is one place Kate will never tattoo on a client. As for the feet or hands, you're going to pay big if you want Kate to take her hand to these hard to heal tattoo spots. I ask her the sort of man who gets a penis tattoo and she tells me someone who is egotistical, and that every man that she's met that asked for one has been. Her best advice for men about women who have tattoos? That's easy. "They're crazy!"

As Kate looks over my tattoos, her hands gracefully touch my body almost as if she's exploring a map, she views the entire body and its proportions in her tattoo placement and you can tell her mind is fast as work as her hands breathe fresh ideas into the skin. Kate loves old Japanese tattoos and authentic tribal designs but she'll artfully explore anything with her triple-Scorpio passion. Trained under one of the most prominent American tattoo artists, Kate reveals her favorite Old School tattoo is likely the swallow, as it signifies travel and marks the miles from one's home.

Carrying on we discuss her plans which are big. Kate's traveling and tattooing, headed to Norway and London and maybe one day Austin again as she gets excited about the Tattoo Nation movie that is headed to the states in October; of course she'll be at the premiere. Kate's very own iconic photograph of Ed Hardy's Chicano Barrio shop where she sat tattooing side by side with Freddie Negret and Jack Rudy has become the official movie poster.

Part of Kate wants to stay grounded and part of Kate wants to fly away. I want to hold onto part of Kate and we then discuss how we should be friends as it makes sense; we like the same things and she's just plain fun.

Kate likes to have a midday drink and I'm not afraid to admit on occasion I do too. It was then that Kate did the inevitable, she offered me Austin's very own handmade Tito's vodka and we mixed ourselves up a couple of Bloody Mary's and got to chatting about the good old days of Ed Hardy, Jack Rudy, Sailor Jerry and her love, the late Michael Malone.

When she talks about tattoo icon Mike Malone (who basically popularized tattoo flash as you know it and worked under the name Rollo Banks) there's quite a story to share.

Mike and Kate were Manhattan artist-hippies that actually started tattooing after coordinating an artist exhibit called "Tattoo" at the Museum of American Folk Art in New York City. They got linked into what was then a dark world together and traveled all the way to Hawaii where they later broke up shortly after apprenticing under Old School Tattoo legend Sailor Jerry, or Norman Keith Collins.

Like anyone looking back on life Kate has her share of good and bad memories. However, I can attest she's not bitter despite the rumors or hearsay involving the remnants of all the Sailor Jerry tattoo flash that is now part of the Ed Hardy empire. I turn off the mic and Kate shares with me secrets that some people would pay to hear and although the details are steamy, she is past the point of anger or greed. She's simply a free spirit and I would call her nothing short of a wise woman trying to find her place in the world. Kate is a Buddhist and believes there is a cause and an end to suffering.

Kate talks about tattoos but really she talks about life and art. Her best advice to new tattooists? "Turn off the TV." Her best advice for someone needing inspiration for their tattoo? "Take a long break and think about who you really were when you were six years old. You've never been closer to your true self than at that age."

Kate doesn't think she'll really ever fall in love and settle down, which seems sad but don't be sad for her; she loves to travel and it may just be that it's her that flies away.

After taking a break I head to the bathroom. I wash my hands and see Joy by Jean Patou on her counter top. This was once one of the most expensive fragrances in the world and it smells delightfully of rose and jasmine. As I step outside her bathroom I smell patchouli. "Why do I smell patchouli?" I ask. The reason? Kate actually takes the time to fill her bathroom soap dispenser with patchouli soap. Her beauty regimen? Chanel moisturizer (like I said, this girl gets it.)

As we carry on I decide I really do want to be Kate's best friend despite the fact she may not have meant it during our pact. We decide I'll be her stylist and that we'll start a t-shirt company (what? I can take Ed Hardy.) We dream up ideas for tattoo stationary with her collection of over 1500 beloved quotes and tattoo flash. We are best friends and that's cool because Kate is someone every girl or guy should know.

I get the dish on a few celebs, like the fact that Howard Stern is a Germaphobe and flies Kate to his place for tattoos for this very reason. That's cool, I've got my issues too. What Kate shares stays safe with me because you know, best friends don't really spill.

As I said goodbye to my beautiful new friend the microphone goes off again. We hug, promise to see each other (like in two days) and actually do a pinkie swear, I swear we did.

Since then it's been the old text-diss. We've had our scheduled and rescheduled visits and then Kate simply up and disappeared. Or it could be that Kate is traveling the world just being Kate. In NYC she's tattooing away and she vows to be back someday on her Facebook page. I hope to see her again. After all, we've got girly stuff to chat about. Like nails, love and what the heck we're going to do with my old tattoo.

Did you really think I'd spill more about my new friend to the world?

Earth to Kate. I miss you.

To book an appointment with Kate Hellenbrand email dameoftheworld@aol.com. Kate Hellenbrand will be in New York City at Sacred Tattoo at 424 Broadway @ Canal from mid-June to early July 2012. Then, it's off to Europe, Scotland, Norway, Germany and London. Catch her if you can!

Become a fan of Shanghai Kate on Facebook and follow her travels here.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment