Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now: First Time in a Tat Shop

Tattoos / Body Piercings: What's Hot Now
These articles that had the largest increase in popularity over the last week // via fulltextrssfeed.com
First Time in a Tat Shop
Jun 20th 2012, 11:01

Have you been thinking about getting a tattoo but still haven't even stepped foot inside a tattoo studio? Are you intimidated by the idea of entering the shop for the first time? Are you afraid the people might look scary or be mean? Or are you just afraid you might make an impulsive decision you'll regret later? Maybe you're just afraid you won't "fit in" with the crowd because you're not what you think is the stereotypical "type." Find out what other people thought of their first experience in a tattoo shop! These readers have contributed their stories and I will continue to add more as they are sent to me. (Have a story to share? Email me at tattoo.guide@about.com with "First Time" in the subject line)

Looks Can Be Deceiving by Charlotte T:
"The first time I ever stepped into a tattoo shop was September 2003, and it wasn't at all like what I expected. I had read many many stories on BMEzine about people getting their first tattoo and what the shops they went into looked like, how they smelled (many said like a doctors office), what the artists were like, so I had this idea built up that when I finally turned 18 and had the chance to go to a shop and get work done it would look similar to the ones in the stories I read on BMEzine. It wasn't.

It was small, had one tattoo artist, one piercer, they were both situated within 3 feet of each other, no walls separating them, no doctors office or hospital smell, to be honest it smelled more like stale cigarettes. So I would say it was definitely worse than what I had expected, but I wasn't scared at all of being there. I was more amazed that this shop seemed terrible managed to produce wonderful tattoo art and wonderful piercings.

I know with the description I just gave of the shop it seems impossible that they could produce good work but they did, they produced very good work. Once I talked to their piercer I found out that the owner had two other shops and put more into the other two shops, and that this particular shop was neglected for the most part by the owner. They had an autoclave though and licenses and everything checked out with them so I did get a tattoo that day at the shop. It turned out brilliantly, and in the months after I went back many times for piercings and they turned out terrific as well, I also in time took my friends to the shop. So the shop itself looked worse than I expected but the work produced by the artist was better than I expected from the look of the shop."

Different but Still Great by Joelle V.
The first time I stepped into a tattoo shop was when my mom got her first tattoo for her 40th birthday. It was new place, small but very nice. Everyone was really cool. The next time I went to a shop was for my first tat. I knew what I wanted and I had the money so my mom took me and got everything set up.

I went to Shotsie's in Wayne, NJ. It was so small compared to the other shops I' seen on TV like Miami Ink and Inked. But I liked environment and the staff was really friendly and helpful. When I went back a few days later and I met my artist Zar. She was so cute and friendly and made me feel so comfortable. She told me everything about the process before we started and waited till my mom came back in the room before we started.

The experience was great, Zar was wonderful and I would go back to her in a heartbeat for another tat. I love the shop and the staff, they're all awesome. And I get compliments all the time on my tat. I can't wait to go back and get more ink.

Must Have Been Good by Vonnie G
The first time I walked into a tattoo place, it was my 45th birthday. I knew I wanted a tattoo for my birthday. It was my first tattoo and I knew it had to be a butterfly. They had me look for a picture I liked. The place was pretty crowded so I started feeling panicked to hurry up so that I could get one on my special day.

I flipped through the pictures and picked one out. They said that would work. Within another hour or so of sitting (and phoning a coupla friends) I got it. I loved it. It hurt but it didn't kill me at all. I showed so many friends, I was so proud of it. That was 2 and a half years ago and the first of 8 tattoos and many piercings (I now have 25 holes I wasn't born with). So, yeah, I must have had a good experience. Thanks for asking.

Kinda Like Family by Meg B.
The first time I stepped into a tattoo studio was so long ago I can't even remember. It was in my home town where I grew up, just a small country town with a lot of country folk in it, in rural Australia. My family are not tattoo people in the slightest, even though my mother is an artist, so what drew me to the shop I can't even say.

I was in High School at the time, and I just found it a great place to hang out, chat to the guys that worked there and look at the flash. I loved art and was hoping to be an artist myself. I don't recall ever getting any work there, I was definitely under the age limit! I suppose I felt accepted there. It was from that shop that I learned the true beauty of body art, and that those who wear it are often nicer people than those who don't. I've been in many shops since then and it's a recurring theme for me; rarely have I found an artist who is unpleasant [although they do exist!].

The latest shop I have had the pleasure of being in is Kaleidoscope at Bondi Beach in Sydney, where I live. I have had the great honour of working with the owner as a freelance illustrator for the past year, and have never seen such a clean, professional, and excellent shop as theirs is. I've had a fair bit of work there, both tattoos and piercings and have been incredibly happy with all of it.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment